Thursday, April 28, 2011

LED Dive Light Sneak Peak

This is a sneak peak for a high output dive light that I plan on building hopefully next month for use this June when we vacation in the Virgin Islands (no, not rich, we only get one vacation every 3+ years). Here's a few sketches that I made to get the thoughts out of my head while I wait for parts to ship (courtesy of DealExtreme).


I'll go into detail when the build starts but on the short the plan is an aluminum and PVC body with an aspheric lens and a 1000+ lumen LED (an incandescent maglite is 50-60lm). So this will effectively be 20x brighter than a maglite. Keep in mind a car headlight is 1500 lumens.

7 comments:

  1. I imagine it must be really expensive to build stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very cool. I'd like to see this happen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you post photos of the process?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder of that light pisses off the fishies?

    ReplyDelete